Friday, November 14, 2014

Mid-Century Modern Buffet Makeover



I bought this beauty on Craigslist for $250. I found out much later, after this project was completed, that this piece is a very desirable Broyhill Brasilia, and it's worth up to $2,000! Well, it WAS worth up to $2,000.... before I painted it. I really shouldn't have done that, and looking back now I wouldn't have..... but live and learn! I don't plan to sell it EVER, so it doesn't REALLY matter, right?  But check out your piece and the value of it BEFORE you attack it with a paint brush! Ok, moving on....

Here is the full piece. The top is currently in storage in the basement. At least it isn't painted! ;)





After some cleaning, sanding, and painting - the bottom half now looks like this:



This is a very simple process:

1. Clean the piece very well - use TSP (from the hardware store) if it is an item that has been in the kitchen and gotten greasy.
2. Use a medium grit sandpaper and sand off the glossy finish.
3. Prime with a high quality oil based primer using a smooth mini-roller wherever possible (you can use a brush where you must, but go over it all with the roller if you can). Let dry completely.
4. Paint using the same technique as above.  Let dry completely and coat again if necessary.
5, If you plan to use it a lot, you may consider coating the top with a polyurethane or polycrylic for extra durability. I did not do that to this piece because it doesn't really get things sat on it often.

It's that easy!

I even took off the hardware and spray painted it silver, because gold just isn't my thing. I put them back on upside down, apparently... but I put them back on in the matching direction as the design on the left - so maybe the former owner had them upside down? Who knows! One of these days I may swap them.

Yes, the bottom drawer is a bit off. I've asked DH to fix that for me but he just hasn't gotten around to it. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment